Software Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
Who we are:
Want to make an impact? Join our pack and come work (and play!) with us.
We believe everyone deserves the unconditional love of a pet—and at Rover, our mission is to make it easier to experience that love. Founded in 2011, the Rover app and website connect dog and cat parents with loving pet sitters and dog walkers in neighborhoods across the US, Canada, and Europe. We empower our community of trusted pet sitters and dog walkers to run their own pet care businesses on Rover with the tools and security of a global company to back them.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, we work closely with our teams in Barcelona, London, San Antonio, Spokane and remote locations. We’ve got a reputation for being a great place to work, having been named among the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Seattle Business Magazine and Washington’s Best Workplaces in the Puget Sound Business Journal. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies.
At Rover, our furry coworkers are just as important as our human ones—and we wouldn’t have it any other way. Along with making the joys of pet parenthood more accessible, we’re committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community of pet people—and that starts with our employees.
Meet the Cloud Infrastructure team:
Infrastructure at Rover underpins all systems and technology that allow pet parents and pet sitters to connect, communicate, and arrange care. Thousands of dogs (and cats!) rely on us every day to ensure that our systems are stable, reliable, and performant. The Cloud Infrastructure team is uses modern technologies such as Docker, Terraform, Python, AWS, Kubernetes and CloudFlare with a heavy emphasis on hosted/cloud solutions to achieve those goals. Rover started in the cloud, and we work to expand our infrastructure capabilities, mature our approaches, and scale to meet the needs of a growing business and growing engineering department. The Cloud Infrastructure team is co-located between Barcelona and the US.
Some of the initiatives the team is driving include:
Optimize webapp hosting platform: Refine the design of our kubernetes-based hosting strategy. Introduce horizontal autoscaling and karpenter for better scaling management. Partner closely with the SRE team to tune for throughput, performance, and cost. Inspect and rethink each layer of the stack including load balancers, storage, and configuration.
CI/CD pipeline refactor: Rover has a complex, multistage integration and deployment pipeline to support a monolith python application and dozens of engineers pushing dozens of changes each day. CI and CD previously were owned and built as separate but interrelated components, now there’s a growing need to streamline the system.
Simplify networking configuration: Past designs around DNS configuration, VPC configuration, how we utilize load balancers, and how we implement request routing all made sense in the moment but aren’t the best fit for Rover’s present and future. The team aims to continuously refine our approaches and move toward less custom solutions that follow best standards.
We’re looking for engineers who:
We’re looking for a software engineer to join in managing and shaping the future of Rover’s cloud infrastructure. We work in a wide array of technologies (including Docker, Terraform, Ansible, Python, AWS, Kubernetes, CloudFlare, GitHub Actions), candidates may have an area of expertise but can contribute and ramp up quickly in many technologies and should be comfortable working across a breadth of technologies. You’re a great teammate that can drive and deliver projects in line with Rover’s Core Values. We don’t view anything here as a rigid requirement. Instead here are some ideas of the backgrounds we’re interested in...
- Enjoy designing cloud infrastructure that is secure, scalable, and highly available
- Embrace the challenge of tackling problems across a wide array of services and functional areas, using a variety of observability tools and strategies
- Can provision, configure and maintain cloud infrastructure defined as code
- Are passionate about discovering iteratively simpler solutions to complex problems
- Value solutions that minimize customization, are simple to understand, and are easy to manage
- Are excited to build and maintain operational tools for deployment, monitoring, and analysis of our cloud infrastructure and systems
- Are passionate about enhancing the company’s cloud infrastructure security posture
- Respect production environments and operate accordingly, including participation in our on-call program
- 3+ years of experience building and maintaining cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS: VPC, EC2, IAM, EKS, S3, Lambdas, etc)
- Hands-on experience deploying and managing infrastructure with Terraform or other IaC
- Experience using Ansible or other relevant configuration management system
- Proven foundation of Linux administration
- Systems Thinking - lifecycle, edge cases, failure modes, interactions etc.
- Plus: Experience with Docker, GitHub Actions and deploying applications in AWS
- Plus: experience with Kubernetes, EKS, and/or other container orchestrations systems
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable, supportable solutions.
- We are curious and passionate about learning, providing the right environment and resources for professional growth.
- We are committed to building, fostering and maintaining a culture of inclusivity and diversity both on our teams and in our products.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline, automated testing and deployment.
- We are serious about the quality of our production operation, and have thorough system, application and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We are passionate about data driven decision-making.
- Our teams are integrated teams with developers, product managers, designers and data scientists working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working for Rover.com
- Competitive compensation (salary and equity)
- Permanent contract
- Private health insurance
- Gym allowance
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Monetary help for adopting a dog plus yearly credit to use on our platform
- Flexible work hours, sometimes you’ll need to be in at certain times, but on the whole, we’re pretty flexible when it comes to managing workload and time
- Grab snacks, fresh fruit, in our kitchen to keep yourself going.
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, game nights, and more.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We are committed to work with you to look for reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
See more open positions at Rover
Something looks off?