Staff Software Engineer
What we are looking for
We are looking to hire a Staff Software Engineer to be a core member of our growing engineering team as we continue to expand globally. This individual will contribute to the full software cycle of the PrimaryBid platform and take pride in their involvement. As we progress to our next phase of growth, this role will be instrumental in designing and building new features for our platform within a close-knit distributed team.
- 7+ years of experience building software at a professional level
- Mentor and nurture members of your team and within the wider engineering team
- Use your inquisitive nature to learn as much about the PrimaryBid platform as possible
- You are a team player. Your ideas are important, but you take a pragmatic approach to solving problems and have a product-first mindset
- We are scaling up, so you’ll be adaptable to change and willing to own any complex task given to you and see it through to production
- Taking a DevOps mindset to ensure your team delivers quality product features
- You will help break down tasks so you and your team can deliver efficiently
- Take ownership of code reviews and encourage team members to learn from your experienced feedback
- Ability to work full-stack, from applying designs from figma to building supporting APIs
- Ability to communicate with Product, Design and Stakeholders to understand and break down complex problems
You will be successful in the role if you
- Have experience shipping microservice based applications to production, including knowledge of the CI/CD process (we use GitLab)
- You can understand, architect and document distributed systems
- You have leadership qualities and take pride in helping the less experienced grow in their careers
- You have multiple years of React development experience
- You have multiple years of Node.js development experience
- You can design & build scalable APIs and supporting services
- You have strong experience with NoSQL databases (preferably MongoDb)
- You like to share ideas and don’t take feedback as negative
- You have experience introducing new technologies or practices and expanding adoption beyond the scope of your immediate team
Our Tech Stack
- React frontends (built with NextJS)
- NodeJS microservices (build with NestJS)
- Microservice architecture throughout our stack
- MongoDb for data storage
- Mainly GraphQL gateways with a few REST endpoints
- Everything runs in kubernetes, including locally
A day in the life of a Staff Software Engineer
My days are split between focus time dedicated to solving complex problems, helping my teammates and interacting with other stakeholders to plan and coordinate the work.
I usually dedicate the first hours of the day on coding tasks. I would be adding new full stack features, writing automated tests, improving the performance of a particular process and everything in between. In the second part of the morning I will catch-up with my teammates on the progress of the tasks we are working on. For the rest of the morning I will be reviewing code, testing the new features or continue to code depending on the progress and the priority of the pending tasks.
The second part of my day is usually dedicated to helping my teammates with their tasks, and interacting with other stakeholders in the company:
- Pair programming with my teammates
- Collaborating with team leads and product managers to plan deliveries and manage dependencies
- Investigating issues with the QA team
- Helping product managers in the discovery phase
- Writing technical documentation
Technical Interview - Once you’ve been shortlisted, we will invited you for a technical interview that will be with 2 members of the technology team, who will dig deeper into your experience.
This interview is as much an opportunity for you to understand more about the role and the plans for the business as much as us digging deeper into your experience.
Technical Assessment - If this role sounds exciting to you, we invite you to complete our bespoke technical task. This will give you a chance to showcase your skills.
Final Interview - If all goes well at the technical interview / assessment, we invite you to meet some members of the leadership team.
We, PrimaryBid, celebrate diversity and are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and marital status, race or religion. We adhere to these principles in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, advancement, training, discipline or discharge. PrimaryBid will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics."