Joyn is powered by technology, data and expertise to deliver a transparent, trusted and truly one-of-a-kind insurance experience. When we join up, we’re smarter, better, faster and protected. Together.
Amazing technology and advanced data insights are important to us – it’s what delivers a joyful experience to our underwriters and service team as well as delight our brokers, agents, and customers.
We’re a small but mighty team. We value our culture and want all of our team members to feel that they belong. Here are the microexperiences you can expect when you work with us: we have transparent communication, we trust in each other to lead, share and include, we act with intent, we are accountable and empowered, we listen and iterate, and we are passionate and reliant upon one another. For us, this results in a more collaborative, joyful experience with better outcomes.
About the opportunity at Joyn Insurance
Joyn is an MGA, founded by experienced insurance industry veterans, focused on building new technology and data solutions to transform commercial insurance. We're focused on the "E&S Lite" market (risks adjacent to the standard market that have a blemish or two). Our ideal insured is in the small and low end of the middle market (we call this Smiddle). We’re an underwriting-centric organization, dedicated to delivering great service to our broker partners and returning an underwriting profit to our capacity providers. We specialize in those parts of the market where technology and people can work together to do what each does best.
Our proprietary, state-of-the-art technology is designed to bring underwriters the information they need, at the exact moment they need it, to make the judgment necessary to write profitable business – more easily, more quickly and more successfully. Our underwriters are positioned not just to underwrite individual accounts but also to be portfolio managers – empowered by our digital platform to make decisions regarding risk selection, coverage, and pricing, and work collaboratively with brokers to provide underwriting and product solutions. Along the way, they provide feedback to our technology teams, creating a virtuous cycle of improvement.
Today we write property and general liability with a broad appetite in 37 states and D.C. spanning six industries: commercial real estate, manufacturing, retail, service, wholesale, and artisan contractors.
This position is remote and available for anyone in the U.S.
Role title: Underwriter
Responsibilities you’ll have
- Own and manage the underwriting point of contact with brokers.
- Use Joyn’s technology to receive submissions, underwrite business, document decisions, provide pricing, deliver quotes and bind coverage.
- Review third party data and use it to supplement submission information.
- Use Joyn’s underwriting portfolio capabilities to build and manage a profitable book of business.
- Provide underwriting and market feedback to Joyn’s insurance product team to drive improvements and product expansion.
- Provide feedback to Joyn’s technology product team to continually improve ease of business both internally and externally.
Experience we’re looking for
- At least 5 years of account underwriting experience, with at least 3 years in the small commercial E&S market.
- Multi-line (property and liability) expertise.
- A track record of successful underwriting in terms of both growth and profitability.
- A desire to adopt and use technology to replace outdated approaches while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- A positive, collaborative, high energy approach to working with others who love the business and want to transform it to be even better.
Benefits we’ll provide
- Compensation commensurate with experience, including an option plan
- Comprehensive health plans
- Unlimited time off
- Paid holidays
- Work from anywhere
Joyn Insurance is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, genetics, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.