Senior Manager, Software Engineering - Growth
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. As featured in the Globe and Mail, we work with home and field service companies to help them better quote, schedule, invoice and collect payments from their customers. Having been named the #2 fastest growing software company in Canada and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2020, it’s clear we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011 – but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
Our product provides entrepreneurs the flexibility of working in their office or the field and we offer that same opportunity to our employees. You will have the choice to work in either our Edmonton or Toronto offices or remotely anywhere within Canada. We’re committed to ensuring the best experience for all Jobberinos to do impactful work. We weren’t named a top workplace in Canada for nothing!
Reporting to a Director, Software Engineering, the Senior Manager, Software Engineering will work with both Engineering Managers and Individual Contributors to support and develop their skills and career, as we work together to empower small businesses.
As the Engineering leader of our Growth group, with 4 squads, you will help develop our growth and onboarding motions inside our product. You won’t be doing this alone though. As Senior Manager, you’ll be a part of a triad, working alongside peers from Design, Product Management, Marketing, and Sales, helping to make our products a world-class experience for our customers.
The Senior Manager, Software Engineering will:
- Live and breathe performance and facilitation. You want to work with your team(s) to help them master their individual crafts, while also collaborating to build extraordinary experiences and systems.
- Be committed to the success of your people. You will help them set goals, have regular 1-on-1s, and provide constructive feedback and coaching to ensure your team's success. You’ll work to understand employees’ career direction and work to empower their journey by acting as a mentor and coach.
- Understand technology risks and plan investment. You’ll seek to understand the technologies in your team's areas, working with them to plan a technical strategy that invests in our platform's future, and addresses ongoing risks such as tech debt, security, etc.
- Develop a world-class team alongside a world-class growth organization. You’ll participate in recruiting events and the hiring process while also working to level up your internal team while implementing new processes, all to develop a world-class Growth department.
- Remove roadblocks and build guardrails. You’ll work with the other leaders to create and maintain an environment where people can rapidly produce top-quality work that ultimately helps our customers be successful.
- Collaborate with other stakeholders across the business. Whether it’s our Design and Management teams within Product or our Business Technology and Marketing teams, you’re working closely with other Jobberinos to find the best solutions in Jobber for small businesses.
- Have an experimental mindset. You like to run experiments, collect insights, and deliver innovative experiences to help new users onboard, and existing clients adopt additional Jobber features.
To be successful, you should have:
- A track record of success in being an established software engineer, as well as time spent in a leadership position, with experience leading multiple teams in the delivery of quality software.
- You’re not the most technical person in the room, but you can keep up in technical conversations, help guide your teams in solving hard problems, and help create a technical strategy for each team.
- You love creating new and innovative experiences for end users. You love to iterate and deliver quickly, and to change tactics when you get feedback from analytics and customers.
- Previous experience leading change through influence and delivering on company vision.
- The ability to be agile in an agile environment. You’ll need to be able to lead and teach your team to adapt to change, while also thinking critically and creatively to find answers to problems.
- Communication, communication, communication. Being transparent with your team and establishing an open dialogue will be key to success in supporting your coaching conversations and discussions.
- Collaboration down to an art. You’ll work with your direct reports or other teams to understand what they want to accomplish and develop a plan to achieve it.
- A thoughtful and effective approach to performance management
- To be a leader and mentor. You’ll bring your shared experience into conversations to influence and provide constructive feedback to direct reports throughout the journey to ensure goals are being met and exceeded
- Not required, but a big plus, you have experience building products in the Growth or E-commerce realms, working with feature flag vendors such as Split, and technologies such as Ruby, Rails, and React.
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!