Senior Data Science Manager
Are you an ambitious Machine Learning & AI Manager who is technically adept and also possesses a keen business acumen?
If so, this might be the role for you! We're looking for a Senior Data Science Manager, who will play a pivotal role in conceptualizing, developing, and refining our ML and AI strategies to amplify our business operations. If you’re passionate about leveraging technology to drive organizational impact, we want to hear from you!
At Jobber, we don’t just build a product - we work on real problems that help people in small businesses to become successful. We are inspired by our company values: be humble, be supportive and give a shit, which is not just said but are lived. We work in a collaborative environment where teams make decisions with autonomy and contribute directly to shaping the company’s future. We release early and often while dedicating time to addressing technical debt. We believe in getting instant feedback from our customers and leveraging that to make their lives easier.
We help employees grow professionally; we have a ton of onboarding resources, tutorials, hackathons, and buddies to support learnings and provide opportunities to innovate. We have a range of experience levels on teams which allow for mentor/mentee opportunities. Leaders at Jobber work with empathy and support employees to build a healthy work-life harmony. Bring your dedication and passion to this job to fulfill your goals.
Like Jobber empowers small businesses with the tools and insights they need to succeed, the BizOps (Business Operations) Department ensures our people at Jobber have the tooling, data insights, and strategic direction to excel in our shared mission.
We turn data into actionable insights, and critical business needs into impactful software, working with multiple teams and departments across the company to execute against their mandates. Essentially, BizOps serves as a central hub that drives business outcomes in all corners of Jobber’s ecosystem.
Reporting to the Director, Business Strategy, the Senior Data Science Manager will champion the design and development of ML / AI solutions, e.g. segmentation systems, predictive models, NLP-solutions, optimization solutions and other ML / AI tools required for strategic and tactical decisioning across all functional areas within the organization (e.g. Marketing, Sales, Customer Growth & Retention, Product etc.). The purpose of the role is to ensure that all areas of business are properly supported via best in class ML / AI solutions.
The Senior Data Science Manager will:
- Be responsible for setting the strategic vision for ML and AI at Jobber. You will develop a clear roadmap for ML and AI projects by conducting thorough research and analysis, identifying areas of high impact and growth.
- Design and implement POCs, progressing to fully realized solutions, ensuring alignment with business needs.
- Formulate compelling business cases for further investment in ML and AI infrastructure, drawing on findings from proofs of concept and broader industry trends.
- Serve as the primary contact for stakeholder engagement, effectively communicate project developments, and ensure that the team consistently focuses on high-impact tasks. Your leadership will be instrumental in setting the direction and tone of our future endeavours.
- Translate business needs into ML / AI solutions, including high-level solution design, detailed solution design, analytical methodology, and hands-on development of the solutions
- Consult analytical and business stakeholders on the best in class approaches to the analytical design and ensure alignment & buy-in
- Be proactive and relentless. You are comfortable seeking information independently, solving conceptual problems, corralling resources and delivering results.
- Be comfortable in an ambiguous and fast-paced environment. We’re growing fast and things are changing every day - what worked yesterday might not anymore.
To be successful, you should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field. Advanced degrees (Masters or PhD) are a plus!
- 7+ years in Analytics/ ML with high proficiency in SQL, Python/ R.
- Team management and SaaS business experience will be a plus.
- A solid foundation in Analytics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and relevant tools. Familiarity with data analytics platforms and the ability to apply ML & AI for real-world business applications.
- Proven experience in crafting and presenting persuasive business cases. Ability to translate complex technical jargon into relatable business terms.
- Demonstrated ability in leading projects and collaborating with cross-functional teams. Experience in stakeholder management and setting strategic directions.
- Forward-thinking mindset to anticipate future business needs and technology trends.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with an ability to articulate complex ideas succinctly.
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience with ML development / deployment tools, e.g. Sagemaker
- Experience in designing analytical Data Marts, e.g. monthly snapshots, sequencing data etc.
- Solid understanding of complex relational data structures
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!