Senior Software Engineer, Business Insights
Are you an experienced software developer with a passion for finding creative solutions to real-world problems? Do you love supporting more junior team members in their learning process?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to be part of our Software Engineering team.
At Jobber, we don’t just build a product - we work on real problems that help people in small businesses to become successful. We are inspired by our company values: be humble, be supportive and give a shit, which is not just said but are lived. We work in a collaborative environment where teams make decisions with autonomy and contribute directly to shaping the company’s future. We release early and often while dedicating time to addressing technical debt. We believe in getting instant feedback from our customers and leveraging that to make their lives easier.
We help employees grow professionally; we have a ton of onboarding resources, tutorials, hackathons, and buddies to support learnings and provide opportunities to innovate. We have a range of experience levels on teams which allow for mentor/mentee opportunities. Leaders at Jobber work with empathy and support employees to build a healthy work-life harmony. Bring your dedication and passion to this job to fulfill your goals.
Our Software Engineering team is central to the success of Jobber - focused on creating software that delivers value to tens of thousands of users around the world. This team focuses on empowering our service providers to make better decisions by providing them with data and insights.
At Jobber we never stop growing and learning, and you shouldn’t either. Through continuous 1:1s, dedicated feedback and support from your manager and our Learning and Development team, and your own sense of curiosity, we hope you develop to another level with your skill set.
Reporting to the Manager, Software Engineering, the Senior Software Engineer will collaborate with other Software Development members on a Scrum team to build an industry-leading product that helps our customers and their small businesses be successful. We’re looking for people who are ready to solve problems that millions of entrepreneurs are facing, using their experience to influence both a product and our team, all the while still working on developing their own craft.
In this role, it’s important that you’re a champion of best practices for well-tested, scalable, and well-organized code. In addition, you customize and extend tools and processes to increase the effectiveness of your team, and mentor others to do the same.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Be involved in the full life-cycle of a feature, from ideation to delivery and adoption
- Participate in code review and testing, while driving engineering solutions to have consistent practices and reusable code
- Facilitate group discussions with team members and stakeholders to determine the best solution to our customer's problems
- Research, communicate, and advocate for the use of best practices within your team’s domain
- Mentor and coach junior teammates, helping them elevate their skills and careers
- Understand how and why our customers work the way they do, so you can develop and improve features in Jobber's online and mobile apps
To be successful, you should have:
- A demonstrated level of senior software engineering experience on a full stack development team
- Experience using Ruby on Rails or GraphQL in a production environment
- Experience with Mobile Observability tools (Sentry, Datadog)
- Experience with the entire software development lifecycle in the Agile/Scrum framework
- Ability to quickly move between different features and projects with a strong interest in experimentation
- Enthusiasm for delivering value early and often to customers
- A structured understanding of common full stack frameworks, architectures, technologies and patterns
- An inquisitive mind set; ability to ask a lot of questions, seek out new information and remain open to new ideas and perspectives.
- The ability to self serve, take initiative and find resources necessary to accomplish a project or solve a problem.
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had:
- Experience using TypeScript and either React or React-Native in a production environment
- Experience with CI/CD (Split, Bitrise, CircleCI)
- Experience developing for iOS (Swift) and Android (Java)
- Exposure or experience in a tech leadership role
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!