Senior Data Engineer, Business Technology
Like the idea of supporting company-wide decisions?
Then Jobber might be the place for you! We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to be part of our Business Technology team in our Business Operations (BizOps) Department.
Jobber exists to help people in small businesses be successful. We work with small home service businesses, like your local plumbers, electricians, painters, and landscapers, to transform the way service is delivered through technology. With Jobber they can quote, schedule, invoice, and collect payments from their customers, while providing an easy and professional customer experience. Running a small business today isn’t like it used to be—the way we consume and deliver service is changing rapidly, technology is evolving, and customers expect more. That’s why we put the power and flexibility in their hands to run their businesses how, where, and when they want!
Our culture of transparency, inclusivity, collaboration, and innovation has been recognized by Great Place to Work, Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, and more. Jobber has also been named on the Globe and Mail’s Canada’s Top Growing Companies list, and Deloitte Canada’s Technology Fast 50™, Enterprise Fast 15, and Technology Fast 500™ lists. With an Executive team that has over thirty years of industry experience of leading the way, we’ve come a long way from our first customer in 2011—but we’ve just scratched the surface of what we want to accomplish for our customers.
The BizOps Department at Jobber:
Like Jobber empowers small businesses with the tools and insights they need to succeed, the BizOps Department ensures our people at Jobber have the tooling, data insights, and strategic direction to excel in our shared mission. We turn data into actionable insights, and work with departments across the company to execute against their mandates. Essentially, BizOps serves as a central hub that drives business outcomes in different corners of Jobber, with specialized groups including Business Strategy, Revenue Operations, Business Analytics, and Business Technology.
This role lives in Business Technology!
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, Business Technology, the Senior Data Engineer will work on our Business Technology team which develops internal software, integrations and data infrastructure. Our work unlocks improved operational outcomes, workflow efficiencies and new business insights across our organization. We help teams leverage data, tools and technology in order to successfully execute on their own mandates. We research, develop and maintain systems which support other internal teams from an operational and analytical perspective.
We’re looking for people who are ready for their next challenge, and want to use their experience to influence people, processes and decisions.
The Senior Data Engineer will
- Build the foundation of our growth. Design, build and maintain batch and real time data pipelines in cloud infrastructure (preferably AWS). Build scripts, tools, serverless applications and workflows.
- Set up our internal teams for success. Internal process improvements such as automating manual processes, building alerting/monitoring tools. Collaborate closely with other teams to build tools, frameworks, reports to run experiments, analyze A/B test results, enable insights.
- Be a business accelerator. Work with analysts, data scientists and product teams to extract actionable insights from data that shape the direction of the company.
- Participate in strategic planning. Lead initiatives to research, analyze and propose new technologies and tooling for our data engineering stack. Participate in design and code reviews - learn from your peers and teach your peers. Solve problems with technology and make decisions backed by data.
- Be the data integrity expert. If two reports are diverging, you’re going to dive into the nitty gritty code to uncover the source of truth.
To be successful, you should have:
- You are a leader. You are able to bring team members together, work through challenges and win together.
- Experience as a Data Engineer or similar role in an Agile/Scrum environment, with experience in data engineering teams.
- Proficiency in writing code in a few different languages, preferably Python and SQL
- Experience in analytics dimensional modelling/star schema and data warehousing in a cloud environment (preferably AWS Redshift)
- Experience in building and maintaining data pipelines for ETL/ELT processes
- Relevant experience with data collection and ingestion from external sources, and optimizing data flow between different systems and environments.
- Knowledge of SQL including query performance debugging and tuning skills.
- Experience with CI/CD environments
- Familiarity of BI tools.
- Experience in developing and operating high-volume, high-available and scalable environments.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with both non-technical and technical team members.
It would be really great (but not a deal-breaker) if you had any:
- Using templated SQL in your ETL pipeline (eg. dbt)
- Experience with Integrations, APIs and working within their limitations.
- Knowledge or experience with Terraform
- Backend development experience, especially dealing with message queues and stream processing
- Experience with NoSQL
- Knowledge and experience of Airflow
What you can expect from Jobber:
Having been named as a Top 10 Great Place to Work in Canada, we walk the talk. Here are just some of the great things you can expect from us:
- A total compensation package that includes an extended health benefits package with fully paid premiums for both body and mind, RRSP matching, and stock options.
- A dedicated Coaching and Development function, including Development Coaches, to help build the career you want and hit the goals you set, while ensuring you’re reaching your fullest potential.
- Support for all your breaks: from vacation to rest and recharge, your birthday off to celebrate, health days to support your physical and mental health, and parental leave top-ups to support your growing family.
- A unique opportunity to build, grow, and leave your impact on a $400-billion industry that has no dominant player...yet.
- To work with a group of people who are humble, supportive, and give a sh*t about our customers.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful team. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to working with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
A bit more about us:
Job by job, we’re transforming the way service is delivered. Your lawn care provider, home cleaning service, plumber or painter could use Jobber to better connect with their customers, save time in the office, invoice faster, and get paid! We’re bringing tens of thousands of people together with technology to deliver billions of dollars a year in services to happy customers. Jobber exists to help make these small businesses successful, and when they’re successful we all win!