Sr. Software Engineer - Fintech / Disruption and Insurance
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2024
About the job
Do you want to substantially impact the future of Hopper's travel technology? We're hiring a Senior Software Engineer to join our Fintech team and help us innovate the evolution of travel selling and booking technology. Fintech contributes to 70% of the company's overall revenue.
As a Sr Software Engineer, you will be directly responsible for crafting, implementing, and deploying the sophisticated backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
We’re seeking an experienced Software Engineer to join our team to help us grow and mature the Disruption and Insurance category of Hopper’s fintech portfolio of products.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Planning, investigating, or scoping out an upcoming project that you own.
- Mentoring other team members, either through pair programming or asynchronously through Slack.
- Writing code, reviewing code, and improving code.
- Learning about a new technical concept, service, or GCP feature that provides value to our team.
- While Hopper has a low-meeting culture (no one has more than 10 hours of meetings scheduled at the start of a week, including managers), we find value in regular meetings to discuss ongoing projects with the team and plan work for upcoming sprints.
An ideal candidate has:
- Experienced in full-stack development, with a strong emphasis on backend skills.
- Proficient in Scala or other JVM languages (such as Kotlin or Java), with demonstrated experience in a production setting.
- Solid understanding of system architecture, focusing on designing scalable and maintainable solutions.
- Skilled in various service communication methods, including gRPC, pub/sub, and REST.
- Knowledgeable in Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and cloud-native development best practices.
- Experienced in deploying infrastructure using Terraform or similar tools.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and deliver complex, multi-month projects from inception to production.
- Committed to enhancing system quality and reliability, showcasing excellence in software engineering practices.
- Professional background in the travel or fintech industries, with an understanding of their specific challenges and requirements.
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options/ RSUs
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexport All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401K plan
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the leading travel platform globally – powering Hopper’s mobile app, website and our B2B business, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions). By leveraging massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to bring transparency, flexibility and savings to travelers globally. We have developed several unique fintech solutions that address everything from pricing volatility to trip disruptions – helping people travel better and save more on their trips.
The Hopper platform serves hundreds of millions of travelers globally and continues to capture market share around the world. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the Hopper app has been downloaded over 120 million times and has become largely popular among younger travelers – with 70% of its users being Gen Z and millennials.
While everyone knows us as the Gen Z and Millennial travel app, Hopper has evolved to become much more than that. In recent years, we’ve grown into a global travel agency and travel fintech provider that powers some of the world’s largest brands.
Through HTS, our B2B division, the company supercharges its partners’ direct channels by integrating our fintech products on their sites or powering end-to-end travel portals. Today, our partners include leading travel brands like Capital One, Nubank, Air Canada and many more.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
Hopper sells billion worth of travel and travel fintech every year. In 2023, over 1.3 billion trips were planned through the Hopper app and our HTS partnerships.
Our fintech products – including Price Freeze, Flexibility for Any Reason and Flight Disruption Assistance – have exceptionally strong CSAT because the terms are always clear, and customers receive instant, no-questions-asked resolutions.
Almost 30% of our app customers purchase at least one fintech product when making a booking; and consumers are 1.6x more likely to repurchase if they add fintech to their booking vs if they booked just travel.
Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions), which represents more than 50% of the business.
Through HTS, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory on their direct channels. As its first HTS partnership, the company partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders. Other HTS partners include Air Canada, Uber, CommBank, Nubank, Flair Airlines with many more in the pipeline.
Featured in Apple’s Best of the App Store list of Essential Travel Apps in 2023 and recognized by the likes of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Hopper has been downloaded over 120 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month. Hopper is now the #3 largest online travel agency in North America and 70% of our app customers are Gen-Z and millennials travelers.
Hopper has raised over $750 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!