Associate legal Counsel - Fintech and HTS
Remote · United States
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
About the job
Hopper is seeking an attorney with a mix of regulatory and transactional experience to join its growing global legal team as Associate Counsel for its Fintech and HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions) businesses.
In this role, you will report to the Deputy General Counsel and work closely with the growing Fintech and HTS legal team, product leads, and other senior business partners to provide advice on complex regulatory matters impacting Hopper’s global business, and drive and execute bespoke and creative commercial contracts with Hopper’s HTS partners (including banks, consumer brands, airlines, hotels, and online travel agents) around the world.
You will be a self-starter with intellectual curiosity and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and tackle unfamiliar issues in new markets to remove blockers and facilitate deal close. You will be eager to unpack the complexities needed to close cross-border commercial transactions as a rapidly-scaling B2B business with a home base in Canada and significant operations in the U.S. that operates globally with subsidiaries and affiliates in 38+ countries. This will include identification and implementation of innovative solutions to cross-border remittance and indirect tax (VAT/DST/sales tax) issues.
You will also assist in ensuring compliance of all Fintech and HTS product implementations with requirements in all global markets in which Hopper and its HTS partners operate.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Navigate the intersection of travel, technological innovation, and financial services on a broad range of complex regulatory issues such as payments, lending, insurance, gaming, and strategic bank partnerships.
- Advise product teams on a range of issues in developing innovative product structures, including new and emerging legal and regulatory developments impacting fintech products.
- Help scope and build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products, including drafting and maintaining product terms and conditions.
- Draft, negotiate, advise, and close the fintech and HTS partner contracts that contribute to Hopper’s success. Achieve optimal across a wide range of legal topics, such as intellectual property, sanctions compliance, payments regulation and data privacy. Research indirect tax and withholding issues in foreign markets to address questions from prospective HTS partners.
- Partner with the business on general commercial matters and negotiate the contracts that contribute to Hopper’s success – from our biggest Cloud deals (distribution of our fintech products to our B2B partners), to the fundamental commercial contracts that the business needs to operate.
- Advise on all issues affecting Hopper’s business globally, including consumer protection, intellectual property, regulatory compliance, data privacy and information security, and corporate governance.
An ideal candidate has:
- J.D. or LLM in the United States; Five (5) years minimum experience in an in-house position, government and/or law firm practice advising a wide range of industries (including consumer products and technology services) on commercial contracting matters;
- Demonstrated ability to operate in unfamiliar areas of law and in new jurisdictions;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience in reviewing, navigating and solving complex regulatory and/or cross-border tax issues, and in commercial contract drafting.
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexport All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!