Principal Product Manager, Lodging Pricing
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 3, 2024
About the job
Product Managers at Hopper are “smart creatives” that will take the Hopper app from a disruptive, startup product to being the global leader in mobile travel.
As a Product Manager, you will work at the intersection of development, data science, and user experience, as well as have a competitive understanding of the travel landscape to facilitate the creation of successful new features.
In the Hopper Lodging Pricing team, we are constantly identifying better ways to surface our best inventory to our customers and ensuring we hold ourselves to being the “Best place to book a stay”.
This includes defining our pricing and selection strategy as well working with our commercial teams to develop technology solutions that materially impact our business.
Product Managers for this team must be highly competent in analyzing and understanding data, scrappy, creative, hands-on “doers” and strong facilitators that can find innovative ways to build up the Hotels product and create a unique, differentiated experience for our users that no travel technology has been able to do before.
This role has a tremendous impact on the vision and success of the company. It's a unique opportunity to join one of Hopper's strategic team.
It’s a huge personal growth opportunity and includes high potential upside of pre-IPO stock options.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Manage a product roadmap for a set of features from inception through implementation; collect requirements, establish key performance metrics, craft the user experience, and drive execution
- Understand and explain complex technical issues, discern impact, and communicate them to maximize clarity and drive resolution
- Collaborate closely with data science to dive deep into our data to understand our users
- Work with business leaders to help shape and drive business cases for product features
- Ideate and wireframe new features that will be in the hands of millions of users across the globe
- Identify the essential qualities of each feature: what's important, what's not, how can we limit cost and risk?
- Use good judgment to make appropriate trade-offs when scoping and specifying solutions, ensuring that anything we build adds value to the business and continues to delight our users
An ideal candidate has:
- Enjoy untangling complex problems and diving deep into data in a methodical manner
- Experience with data analytics and A/B testing in a highly metrics driven environment
- Comfortable with SQL, analyzing data and building out data dashboardsHave an innovative and detail-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Have the instinct to get on a whiteboard and explain their thinking, and even faster to document that thinking into expected use cases and user behaviors, driving UX for new features from start to finish
- Have a high level of ownership and high bias for action
- Have experience connecting innovative solutions to real-world, user problems with actual business needs of a rapidly scaling organization
- Have technical depth that allows them to communicate with, understand, and earn the respect of world-class engineers and data scientists
- Have a strong focus on doing what is right for the customer and the company without ego
- A track record of being proactive and persuading colleagues by constructing a compelling narrative both in-person and in-writing
- Past success analyzing data, drawing accurate conclusions, and adjusting strategy accordingly
- Experience with mobile product development strongly preferred
- Experience with GDS, CRS, airline, hotel and/or other travel systems (a plus)
- Experience writing SQL, querying APIs and the ability to brainstorm solutions with the engineering team
- Have a go-getter attitude, comfortable with learning whatever they need to to move the team forward.
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexport All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the leading travel platform globally – powering Hopper’s mobile app, website and our B2B business, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions). By leveraging massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to bring transparency, flexibility and savings to travelers globally. We have developed several unique fintech solutions that address everything from pricing volatility to trip disruptions – helping people travel better and save more on their trips.
The Hopper platform serves hundreds of millions of travelers globally and continues to capture market share around the world. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the Hopper app has been downloaded over 120 million times and has become largely popular among younger travelers – with 70% of its users being Gen Z and millennials.
While everyone knows us as the Gen Z and Millennial travel app, Hopper has evolved to become much more than that. In recent years, we’ve grown into a global travel agency and travel fintech provider that powers some of the world’s largest brands.
Through HTS, our B2B division, the company supercharges its partners’ direct channels by integrating our fintech products on their sites or powering end-to-end travel portals. Today, our partners include leading travel brands like Capital One, Nubank, Air Canada and many more.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
Hopper sells billion worth of travel and travel fintech every year. In 2023, over 1.3 billion trips were planned through the Hopper app and our HTS partnerships.
Our fintech products – including Price Freeze, Flexibility for Any Reason and Flight Disruption Assistance – have exceptionally strong CSAT because the terms are always clear, and customers receive instant, no-questions-asked resolutions.
Almost 30% of our app customers purchase at least one fintech product when making a booking; and consumers are 1.6x more likely to repurchase if they add fintech to their booking vs if they booked just travel.
Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions), which represents more than 50% of the business.
Through HTS, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory on their direct channels. As its first HTS partnership, the company partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders. Other HTS partners include Air Canada, Uber, CommBank, Nubank, Flair Airlines with many more in the pipeline.
Featured in Apple’s Best of the App Store list of Essential Travel Apps in 2023 and recognized by the likes of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Hopper has been downloaded over 120 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month. Hopper is now the #3 largest online travel agency in North America and 70% of our app customers are Gen-Z and millennials travelers.
Hopper has raised over $750 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!