Principal Software Engineer - Disruption
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
Hopper is seeking a Principal Software Engineer to develop and scale financial products that offer customers peace of mind while traveling. The team focuses on creating services that power millions of users in the Hopper app, as well as millions more across various other travel portals. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will play a significant role in driving one of Hopper's most profitable businesses. You will work on problems at scale, designing and iterating on services that are crucial to our business. You will also have the opportunity to enhance our team through mentorship and by guiding our technical direction.
- Work with and mentor your teammates by being a proponent of best practices, performance, and reliability
- Set code and performance standards through code reviews and participating in discussions
- Build robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of dollars of revenue
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Leverage and contribute to a rich microservice architecture system
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- 2+ years in a technical leadership role, and many more years of experience as a software engineer
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- Experience with Scala (or other JVM language), Google Cloud (or another cloud), Kubernetes
- Experience developing for millions of MAU
- Experience in fintech and/or travel
- Experience working with gRPC/Protobuf
- Functional programming experience
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
See more open positions at Hopper
Something looks off?