Software Engineering Manager, Cloud - Rental Cars (Remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2023
The Cars B2B team is focused on building the best experiences for our B2B partner’s users to rent cars, with the aim of helping them spend less and travel better.
We are looking for an exceptional Software Engineering Manager who wants to have a massive impact and contribute to defining the best strategy to achieve goals related to several B2B deals we have in our pipeline. This manager will lead a team of software engineers with different expertise who work across our stack, including backend, Web and Mobile ecosystems. This manager doesn’t need to be an expert in all of our technologies but would need to have solid technical experience in at least one side of them and have previous experience managing multifunctional teams and building Websites and Mobile apps that scale for millions of users, as well as interacting with external engineering teams to drive results.
You will collaborate with a team of talented engineers, product managers, data scientists and stakeholders from our partners side to break down complex problems and experiment with new ideas very quickly.
Join the rental car team at Hopper and be a part of revolutionizing an industry that is in need of fresh thinking and innovation. You will have an opportunity to provide impact and have ownership, as we navigate the complexities of the market.
In This Role You Will:
- Manage and mentor a team of top-tier engineers working across the stack: Web, mobile, backend microservices, and data
- Align and drive team members toward an inspiring vision, while staging work to deliver value incrementally and consistently for our customers
- Work hands-on with our team of software engineers, product managers and data scientists to move quickly and continually raise the bar
- Partner with the product manager to craft the product roadmap, plan and execute accordingly
- Build and maintain a good working relationship with internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborate directly with Hopper’s technology leadership team to ensure Hopper’s success
- Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Help refine our engineering processes to accelerate our development cadence and achieve a high level of technical excellence and stability
- Hire and develop amazing new team members
A Perfect Candidate Has:
- Strong experience managing full-stack teams across Web, Mobile and backend engineering
- Experience planning and handling risk complexities of projects
- Experience building both scrappy MVPs and scalable products with strong foundations
- Obsession about customer experience and understanding that minor details can make a huge difference
- Experience working with B2B products and handling relationships with external stakeholders
- Experience building user-facing products with a focus on customer journey and customer experience resulting in meaningful customer and business impact
- A drive to iterate on architecture in harmony with an Agile workflow
- A love of learning and teachingExcelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Thrived in complex microservices ecosystem with a proven track record of designing and developing new microservices that drive the experience for millions of users
- Expertise with GCP and/or AWS
- Fluency in at least one modern programming language, ideally Java or Scala on the backend, or Typescript on the frontend.
Our Tech Stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs for Websites are built with Typescript and React with the use of Redux for state management
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android. However, we have also built an in-house framework called RemoteUI which allows you to define your UI via JSON, and deploy the same experience to both platforms.
- Our stack is hosted on GCP using things like Spanner, Bigtable, PubSub, BigQuery, CloudSQL, GCS, VertexAI, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Iterable, Big Query and Datadog will also be your buddies.
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
See more open positions at Hopper
Something looks off?