Senior Product Designer
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
Join our team of high-performing designers in an exciting space to transform how administrators manage and maintain the D2L Brightspace learning platform. For teachers and learners to get the most out of our Brightspace, administrators must first efficiently and effectively configure and monitor the platform to meet the unique needs of their organization. On this team, we believe administrators play a critical role in transforming the way the world learns and actively work to reimagine a streamlined experience for administrating any implementation of Brightspace. In this role, you will work with a small team of designers to craft delightful, useful and usable designs, build deep empathy and understanding for our users, and contribute to a high-quality user-centered experience that boosts the efficiency and productivity of administrators. You will work with the team to identify and understand complexity, and where appropriate, simplify or help our users make sense of it. You will also contribute cross-functionally to defining and executing initiatives where you’ve helped align user needs to key business outcomes. Some key areas of investment include:
- Remove points of friction to help new administrators get Brightspace setup quickly.
- Build tools to automate data syncing between Brightspace and 3rd party systems.
- Restructure key administrative workflows to support the delegation of administrator responsibilities to others in the organization.
- Design new solutions to help administrators monitor their file storage capacity.
We think we offer something unique:
- A supportive, talented, and collaborative community of product designers and user experience researchers; we learn from each other to develop the skills to do great work
- A maturing practice with growing tools and design systems; we all get to inform the growth of our design culture and practice
- Opportunities to conduct early research and exploration; we're problem solvers who get engaged early
- Balance and collaboration with our partners in Product Management and Development; we have a strong voice in our projects
- A chance to do meaningful work; we contribute to life-long learning to change the way the world learns
- Empathy for and appreciation of the important work administrators do as users.
- Strong system analysis skills and the ability to make powerful, complex systems easy and enjoyable to use.
- The ability to craft beautiful designs and delightful, useful, and usable experiences; you have strengths in visual design, interaction, and motion design
- An understanding of the broader UX practice and a story about your process; you can illustrate how you work with narrative, artifacts, successes, and challenges
- Awareness that good design is both about what you do and how you do it; you demonstrate that you care about both
- Curiosity combined with a desire to learn and grow; you're a life-long learner who is willing to explore new tools and approaches
- Openness, objectivity, and self-awareness; you are collaborative and seek and share feedback and ideas with your peers
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills; you frame, structure, and present work clearly and confidently, including to product stakeholders and senior leaders
- A sense of empathy and a user focus; you apply empathy both to your design work and with your project peers
- Mentor other product designers
- Be responsible for initiatives that touch core flows for administrators Contribute in early stages of strategic initiatives
- Advocate for product design and user experience research activities and contributions, including engaging with early research and explorations
- Contribute to defining aspects of our maturing practice
The expected base salary range for a new hire in this role is listed below. The annualized base salary offered is determined by each candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, education, training and experience. It is aligned to ensure both internal and external competitiveness using market data for the geographic location and industry. As part of the total compensation at D2L the role may be eligible for additional benefits including a Wellness Subsidy, Equity Grants, Variable Incentive, and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.