Senior People & Culture Business Partner (14 Month Contract)
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
As someone who has a wide variety of experiences and is an expert in building relationships across all levels, the Senior People and Culture Business Partner will be a strategic partner for senior leaders, managers, and employees, working closely with other business partners for other groups. This is a key role within the People and Culture team in helping to promote #LifeatD2L while creating an amazing leadership and employee experience.
As part of the People and Culture team, the incumbent will also work closely day to day with Talent Acquisition, Learning and Leadership Development, and Services & Total Rewards teams within People and Culture.
How Will I Make an Impact?
- Support alignment and achievement of the organization's vision; business strategy and continuous improvement objectives of assigned client groups
- Develop and implement People & Culture strategies, including people plans and cultural initiatives for assigned client groups, in partnership with relevant stakeholders.
- Lead and/or participate in projects in collaboration with the People & Culture team, outside the direct People & Culture Business Partner role
- Provide operational and strategic Business Partner support and build strong relationships with leaders and employees within the assigned client groups
- In partnership with Total Rewards and Compensation Specialist, lead Compensation/ Total rewards consultations within the assigned client group
- Collaborate with the People & Culture team members to deliver quality strategic and operational advice and support to management and employees on all areas of Human Resources.
- Make recommendations and ensure alignment in people management and compensation practices (job evaluation, salary administration, compensation design, and performance management) within D2L’s business strategy.
- Provide expertise on employee relations, workplace investigations, change management initiatives, organizational departmental restructures, and job role design to address challenges, improve cost /efficiency and to clarify accountabilities.
- Partner within assigned client groups to execute ongoing Talent Management, Performance and Coaching processes such as talent reviews, quarterly performance check-ins, career development conversations, succession planning, employee retention, and employee development and engagement initiatives.
- Advise leaders and managers and employees on employee relations concerns and guide employees on policies and procedures
- Lead the implementation of ongoing succession and critical talent development plans with assigned client groups
- Execute the quarterly and annual performance management process, including, but not exclusive to performance reviews, career development conversations, learning programs, retention programs, and top performer identification
- Partner with the Talent Acquisition team to identify top industry talent and create strategies on attracting and retaining top talent
What you’ll bring to the role:
- Working with and influencing at the senior leadership level.
- Natural ability to establish relationships and understand what motivates and engages teams.
- Expert communication skills with an ability to consider impact of actions beyond immediate organizations.
- A solution-based approach to problems. Bonus points for innovation and resilience.
- An ability to extract the story behind metrics and reporting to enable the business to deliver awesome outcomes.
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, busy, and team-oriented environment.
- Experience partnering with all facets of the business, employee to executive
- Experience developing programs to retain the best and brightest employees
- A passion for self-learning and growing is important.
- An interest in formal mentoring and leadership of Business Partners on the team.
- Experience working with managers on people-based issues and concerns (e.g., performance, behavior, conflict resolution, termination) that impact individual and team relationships, performance, and productivity.
- Development and implementation of People and Culture (HR) strategies, including people plans, employee engagement initiatives, business plans, and leadership development.
D2L Leadership Competencies
- Leads by Example with personal and professional integrity, high accountability and say/do ratio
- Boundaryless collaboration and influence skills both within team, peer group and broader organization. Effective communicator with a proven track record of success.
- Delivers Awesome Outcomes: Strategic mindset and business acumen, with strong prioritization skills and a focus on organizational outcomes vs. team tasks. Effective problem solver, able to achieve results individually and through others, in fast paced, deadline-driven environments.
- Talent Magnet: Talent-focused leader, with demonstrated ability to coach, build and lead a high performing, diverse team.
- Better, Smarter, Faster: An agile learner, with a growth mindset, attention to detail and organizational skills. An operationally minded leader, with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation.
- Wins Hearts and Minds: An effective communicator, with the ability to connect the why and the what. A change agent, with proven delegation, motivation, and team building skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or equivalent HR Management Certificate or the equivalent of 7+ years experience
The expected base salary range for a new hire in this role is listed below. The annualized base salary offered is determined by each candidate’s relevant knowledge, skills, education, training and experience. It is aligned to ensure both internal and external competitiveness using market data for the geographic location and industry. As part of the total compensation at D2L the role may be eligible for additional benefits including a Wellness Subsidy, Equity Grants, Variable Incentive, and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.