Senior Product Management Director
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Wave and D2L for Business, this role will be leading a strategy for platform integration for D2L for Business, working across the units of D2L to weave together a portfolio of products and services. This is a new position, and needs an individual with a high technical literacy in SaaS, educational technology, learning and development, and client-facing communications. This role will contribute deeply to our organization’s success in the Corporate Learning market.
The Senior Product Management Director, D2L for Business will have market savvy and deep knowledge about what buyers need and want in the Corporate Learning market segment. You will bring a solutions mindset, and be able to coordinate and lead action across the organization in support of this integrated solution. This role will need to capture the gaps in the market and clearly define how the suite can be improved to better address the buyers and the market's needs. This position will have a sophisticated understanding of product development, and the ability to communicate product needs and platform architecture in support of strategic, continued development.
As the Senior Product Management Director, D2L for Business, you will need to be adept at demoing the solution to high-level corporate clients, and partner for advocating for future development. Being able to paint the picture of the solution’s uniqueness and technological advantages to internal and external audiences alike will be a critical skill for success. This role will work with clients to identify how our tools and products can be used to make their lives easier and their workflows smarter, and demonstrate the solution with ease and charisma.
We are looking for a cross-functional, highly collaborative, strategic thinker with the proven ability to deliver high-quality solutions to the market. Note this is an Individual Contributor level position, with no direct reports.
How Will I Make an Impact?
- Lead the implementation of the vision for D2L for Business across the organization, collaborating from a product and architecture perspective to communicate highly technical needs as part of the product roadmap and roadmap process.
- Develop and deliver custom demos and presentations that are simple and engaging, leaving your audience eager to use Brightspace.
- Support Sales in closing deals.
- Serve as a member of the Wave and D2L for Business leadership team.
- Support market analysis, working collaboratively with product development, product strategy, and competitive intelligence, based on customer needs and product market fit
- Support sales process w/ presentations, strategy, RFPs, etc.
- Partner with sales enablement to keep our sales teams trained and appraised on the latest developments with our product and in the market.
- Maintain a view of most requested/needed market product feature priorities during the sales and pre-sales process – differentiators and gaps.
- Track customer churn and retention and partner on appropriate strategies.
- Maintain a view of most requested/needed market product feature priorities – differentiators and gaps by participating in QBRs, customer advisory boards, and analyzing usage, NPS, and other customers data.
- Communicate and connect the dots cross-functionally to show the organization the impact they are having on our customers and sales process
- Competitors: Understand key competitors
- Value prop: Help to refine and maintain the value proposition as new features are released and changes occur in the market
- Needs: Map the product features and functionality to discrete needs in the markets
- SME: Be the subject matter expert on your market, the size, space, history. Maintain a point of view on its evolution
- Partner on sales enablement and GTM activities for releases, packages and products in your segment.
- Help maximize business impact in your segment by prioritizing product feature development and cross organizational resource allocation.
- Communicate and connect the dots cross-functionally to show the organization the impact they are having on our business
- Maintain a perspective on pricing.
- Track various segment goals and maintain a consolidated view of business results and the contribution the segment is making.
- Align the products, product features, partners, service offerings into market ready offerings.
- Create and support business cases for new products or packages
- Maintain a view of all products in the segment and how they work together, relative importance in the portfolio, and the proposed evolution
What you'll bring to the role
- In depth technical understanding of enterprise software, web, database technology, and product development lifecycles, etc.
- Excellent communication and customer-conversation skills including demo-god and public-speaking experience.
- Strong drive to achieve results
- Organized and analytical, with excellent communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex business challenges and apply creativity and problem-solving to meet client needs
- Proven ability to confidently and clearly communicate both technical and business topics to a variety of groups, including customers, D2L senior leadership team, designers, architects and developers.
- Highly self-motivated, able to work independently while also collaborating well.
- Advanced presentational skills, including creating presentations and delivering them in individual and group settings.
- Deep knowledge of the EdTech segment, including LMSs (educationally-focused, and corporate-focused).
- Deep technical knowledge
D2L Leadership Competencies
- Leads by Example with personal and professional integrity, high accountability and say/do ratio
- Boundaryless collaboration and influence skills both within team, peer group and broader organization. Effective communicator with a proven track record of s
- Delivers Awesome Outcomes: Strategic mindset and business acumen, with strong prioritization skills and a focus on organizational outcomes vs. team tasks. Effective problem solver, able to achieve results individually and through others, in fast paced, deadline-driven environments.
- Talent Magnet: Talent-focused leader, with demonstrated ability to coach, build and lead a high performing, diverse team.
- Better, Smarter, Faster: An agile learner, with a growth mindset, attention to detail and organizational skills. An operationally minded leader, with a focus on continuous improvement and innovation.
- Wins Hearts and Minds: An effective communicator, with the ability to connect the why and the what. A change agent, with proven delegation, motivation, and team building skills.
- 8+ years experience in multiple domains of software development within educational technology or corporate learning and development, with a high technical understanding of product development and design architecture.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with a cross-functional team consisting of Engineering, Design Architecture, Product Management, and Marketing.
- Experience working with senior level clients on large deals.
- Understanding of the technology ecosystem that surrounds an LMS and the types of responsibilities and concerns users have that run those systems.
- Understanding of how to listen to, and articulate to the business, the needs of clients from a solutions-standpoint and from a features and functionality standpoint.
- Travel as required
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.