Senior Director, Product Marketing
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
About the Role:
The Senior Director, Product Marketing is responsible for developing comprehensive positioning, messaging, marketing assets, content, and customer advocacy assets for sales and marketing teams, working closely with the product management team to determine the most profitable course for each existing and new product. This role is the glue that binds our product strategy to the tactics we need to drive success in sales and marketing and to achieve results.
The incumbent plays a lead role within the marketing team in generating strong momentum ahead of new product and solution launches and for driving sales and adoption of existing products. They back up strategic insights with market evidence and then use that knowledge to drive the development of positioning and messaging that resonates with buyers and empowers our sales channels to be successful.
They will collaborate with our marketing team to develop innovative programs that drive demand. An attention to detail and eye for quality are critical to success, along with an ability to grasp and present our product’s value proposition in a way that resonates and clearly articulates how we solve our buyers’ problems. They are obsessed with tracking performance, and have the data to prove what’s working and what isn’t.
In addition to the marketing team, they will regularly collaborate with product managers, sales enablement and leadership across the company; it’s a balancing act that requires strong diplomatic skills, including knowing when to push back and when to dive in.
How you will make an impact:
- Direct and create the product messaging, positioning, and value proposition for D2L’s full suite of products and solutions in every global market.
- Market intelligence—be the expert on our buyers, who they are, how they buy, and their key buying criteria.
- Understand and communicate the competitive landscape—be an “outside in” expert on our competition and how they are positioned
- Leverage in-depth knowledge of product capabilities to develop comprehensive positioning, messaging and marketing assets for sales and marketing teams
- Develop product positioning and messaging that differentiates us in the market, leveraging research on buyer behavior, data on past initiatives, and market opportunities.
- Interface with product leadership and integrated marketing team to develop/adapt marketing campaigns/materials including demand generation and other activities to build awareness for and drive new business for specified D2L solutions
- Work closely with the sales and sales enablement to launch and position new solutions in market
- Bring a data driven orientation to asset development and measuring program effectiveness
- Coach, lead, manage, and inspire a high-performing results-oriented team.
People Leadership and Performance
- You are passionate about people leadership and leading effective teams.
- You will manage a team of D2Lers and champion a high performing culture.
- You will connect your team’s day to day accountabilities to D2L’s mission by setting clear objectives and performance expectations with your team members.
- You will coach, provide regular feedback, provide career path and development or growth opportunities, and create a collaborative and open environment.
- You will collaborate through cross-functional teams to accomplish established corporate and team goals and effectively manage relationships with other D2L teams
- Work with your peers and leaders to drive productivity, efficiency, and hold team accountable for high quality outcomes
- Play key role with interviewing, hiring and onboarding new team members. Provide expertise and coaching/mentorship to the team members.
- Produce and actively participate in knowledge sharing as well as professional development initiatives
What you’ll bring to the role:
- 10+ years in product marketing and related roles
- 5+ years of managerial experience as a first level manager
- Technology product messaging and product launch experience with proven results
- Experience developing and communicating product messaging successfully deployed by sales and marketing teams
- Successful track record collaborating with cross-functional teams to drive alignment and action
- Experience working in enterprise SaaS and global markets
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or equivalent in relevant field. MBA is an asset.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following through #LifeAtD2L;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.