Director, External Reporting, Internal Controls and Compliance
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
A member of our Talent Acquisition team reviews ALL of our applications - yes a real person reviews resumes! They are excited to read more about what amazing things you could add to D2L.
Reporting to the CFO, you will use your professional expertise and passion for financial reporting to maintain an effective reporting and control framework for the global operations of the company. Strong organization, attention to detail and communication skills will allow you to thrive in a fast-paced environment. With a proven ability to develop and motivate team members, and willingness to roll up your sleeves, you will deliver strong business outcomes. This role provides an excellent opportunity for a well-rounded and technically strong professional to play a key leadership role in the finance team at D2L, and our continued growth as a publicly traded company.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
- Leadership of the external reporting, internal controls and compliance functions, including coaching and development of direct reports and establishment of strategic priorities and objectives
- Oversee and execute the preparation of quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements under IFRS for the purpose of public filings
- Oversee and execute the preparation of the Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) for quarterly and annual public filings including sourcing input from the FP&A team and senior leadership across the organization
- Ownership of technical accounting function - advising on complex accounting transactions (including revenue recognition and M&A activities), and implementing accounting policy
- Joint ownership with Controllership office over the financial audit and review of consolidated and subsidiary financial statements
- Ownership of the design, implementation, maintenance and review of the internal control environment, including ICOFR, ITGC and ELC controls; and ensuring public company internal controls certification is met.
- Deep understanding of business processes and ability to propose and implement improvements to support efficiency and effectiveness in operations and financial reporting best practices
- Enable key stakeholders across the organization on internal controls best practices and business acumen
- Maintain strong relationships and collaboration with auditors, legal counsel and other advisors in support of external reporting, internal controls and audit matters
- Direct support, oversight and partnership with the Senior Manager of Taxation to ensure compliant and optimized taxation function across corporate income tax, indirect tax, transfer pricing and other taxation matters
- Oversee and execute on the preparation of statutory filing requirements from multiple jurisdictions and regulatory bodies, including related assurance and audit requirements
- Oversee and execute on due diligence review and recommendations of merger and acquisition opportunities
- Collaborate across finance and other departments on special projects as required
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- You are organized with a strong attention to detail allowing you to manage multiple accountabilities with minimal direction
- You are adaptable, and have a proven ability to set direction and execute on priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You have a proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a team towards high performance
- You are a team player and have strong interpersonal and communication skills, and proactively build key relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- You solve cross functional problems with collaboration and influence, and consideration to the broader impact of decisions and actions
- You have excellent analytical skills allowing you to solve complex problems with creative and practical solutions
- You are a proactive self-starter with strong accountability, ensuring business outcomes are realized
D2L Leadership Competencies:
- Lead by example
- Deliver Awesome Outcomes
- Talent Magnet
- Focus on Better, Smarter, Faster
- Wins Hearts and Minds
Work Experience Recommendations:
- 5-10+ years of financial reporting and audit experience at public accounting firm or in industry, with leadership experience
- Advanced experience with complex accounting and preparing publicly company financial statements in accordance with IFRS or US GAAP, including full note disclosures
- Advanced experience with internal controls compliance and certification as a public company is a strong asset
- Experience in software companies with global operations is a strong asset
- Experience with tax compliance and/or planning is an asset
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office suite and NetSuite ERP system is an asset
- Completion of Chartered Professional Accounting designation (CPA)
- University degree or equivalent in business or finance/accounting
Don’t meet every single requirement? We strongly encourage you to still apply! At D2L, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage your application even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, because we love to help our people grow and develop!
Why we're awesome:
At D2L, we are dedicated to providing you with the tools to do the best work of your life. While some of our perks and benefits may vary depending on location or employment type, we are proud to provide employees with the following;
- Impactful work transforming the way the world learns
- Flexible work arrangements
- Learning and Growth opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $4,000 CAD for continuing education through our Catch the Wave Program
- 2 Paid Days off for Catch the Wave related activities like exams or final assignments
- Employee wellbeing (Access to mental health services, EFAP program, financial planning and more)
- Retirement planning
- 2 Paid Volunteer Days
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Home Internet Reimbursements
- Employee Referral Program
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition
- Social Events
- Dog Friendly Offices at our HQ in Kitchener, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Melbourne.
Something looks off?