Sr. Machine Learning Engineer
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What does a Sr. Machine Learning Engineering do at Clearcover?
Clearcover is looking for an experienced software engineer or data engineer with machine learning experience. At Clearcover, a Sr. Machine Learning Engineer will focus on developing our platform, tools, processes, and frameworks that make it easier to develop, productionize, monitor, and update services that use machine learning.
Our Sr. Machine Learning Engineers own both technical and business problems. They are expected to own the process of defining the problem, implementing the solution, and measuring the business impact. A successful Sr. Machine Learning Engineer will have excellent technical skills, in addition to good judgment and communication skills necessary to collaborate across the company with other engineers and non-technical teams.
Current and upcoming projects that will have a major impact on the entire company include customer segmentation, churn prediction, fraud prevention, claims risk, and automated marketing solutions. The team is currently prototyping geospatial and NLP techniques to augment our resources for machine learning. Together, the team delivers high value models and tools that are taking our business decision making and customer acquisition techniques to the next level.
What will you do?
- Work across teams with stakeholders to understand, define, and plan for solutions to their business problems.
- Deploy and manage all machine learning models and inference services in production!
- Understand policyholder characteristics and insurance product attributes as needed to improve model performance.
- Validate machine learning model and ML services (including our real-time inference system) via proper train/test techniques.
- Engineer workflows to deliver machine learning powered raw datasets to support data analysis.
- Own independent research initiatives to solve real-world business problems.
- Continue supporting and scaling our models while ensuring highly available and highly durable services.
- Participate in the team's on-call schedule (weekly) responding to alerts in a timely fashion to ensure our services are running with high availability to our customers and stakeholders.
What do you need?
- 5+ years of experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Data Engineer, or data-centric Software Engineer.
- 3+ years of all-around software development experience in Python.
- Proficiency in SQL for reporting, analysis, and data extraction.
- Significant experience with popular Python data science and machine learning libraries, including scikit-learn, pandas, numpy and related libraries.
- Experience using cloud compute in AWS or a similar vendor (e.g. GCP, Azure)
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with both technical and non-technical audiences.
Nice to haves?
- Interest in writing about technical solutions and contributing to open source projects.
- Experience with event streaming frameworks such as Apache Kafka.
- Experience writing API services with FastAPI, Flask, or similar framework.
- Experience automating cloud infrastructure provisioning via Terraform and/or Cloudformation.
- Experience developing and maintaining ML models through the model lifecycle.
- Exposure to containerization and running services on kubernetes.
- Demonstrable cloud computing experience or cloud certifications.
Did you know that women and minorities are less likely to apply to a position if they don’t match 100% of the job qualifications? Don’t let that be the reason you miss out on this opportunity! We encourage you to apply anyway. Don’t count yourself out!
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. We offer comprehensive benefits for individuals and families:
- Medical. We offer rich and affordable BCBS plans for you and your dependents. If you select the high deductible health plan, we offer an HRA and contribute to your HSA.
- Dental and vision. We cover 100% of dental and vision premiums for you and your dependents.
- Pre-tax benefits, disability, and life insurance.
- 401(k). We contribute 3%, even if you contribute nothing.
We’ve also curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. Our people have access to:
- Generous vacation, 12 paid holidays, and parental leave.
- Equity in the company (plus an evergreen plan) and an annual bonus program.
- Employee resource groups and mental health workshops.
- Top of the line hardware and meeting free “Focus Fridays”.
We’re a remote first company, having paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. If you are local or in town visiting, you also have the choice to work from our Chicago HQ office. Because we are a remote first company, we ask that your internet can keep up with our pace.
To top it all off, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.