Privacy Director-16 Month Contract
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2023
Alida believes in a world where customers are respected as the ultimate source of truth. Because knowing the whole truth about your customers—even the parts that are hard to hear—can help companies make better decisions that drive long-term customer loyalty and growth.
That’s why Alida created its Total Experience Management Platform; a comprehensive CX solution powered by a highly-engaged, verified, always-on community of your most engaged customers that fuels sustainable business impact.
With Alida, innovative companies like HBOMax, Adobe, Lululemon and LinkedIn can anticipate their customers' ever-evolving needs to make better decisions, build long-term relationships, and grow businesses that stand the test of time.
Over 176 million people globally have used Alida's Total Experience platform to inform over 60,000 customer experiences initiatives.
Join us on our mission to put truth into action at www.alida.com and @alidaTXM.
We are seeking a Senior Privacy leader to act as maternity leave coverage for our Privacy Director. This is a 16 month contract and we are looking for local candidates to Toronto.
About the Role Our Privacy Director leads Alida’s privacy program, providing senior leadership and support to our entire business, including the C-suite, Product & Engineering, Sales, Custom Success and People & Culture teams, helping stakeholders to navigate any prioritize and privacy questions and issues that may arise in relation to its customer or corporate data. Ideally this role is based in our Toronto office (though we are open to hiring a candidate from another location in Canada) and will be reporting directly to our Chief Operations Officer.
Other interesting things to know!
This is a rare opportunity to lead a small and dynamic team with exposure to all areas of privacy that relate to SaaS business. This can involve working on issues that are both B2B and B2C in nature, AI products and risk assessments; product development support and privacy-by design; PIAs and DPIAs, employment privacy laws; customer contracts; data processing agreements; international transfers, privacy program management and C-suite and senior leadership communications and recommendations. We have lots of exciting developments going on and our customer base is made up of global privacy-forward organizations who we endeavor to support in their ever-evolving compliance needs.
At Alida we value our staff and encourage continued professional development. We will consider supporting continued professional learning, such as IAPP study and certifications or anything else you might think of that can add value to your role within the organization.
We truly respect and trust our employees, and place importance on their well-being and work life balance. As a result of recent trials and employee surveys we now operate on a “Hybrid” model. This means you work from the office two days a week only, to harness the full value of facetime with your teammates and internal clients. We care about the quality of your work, not where it takes place.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has significant (7 yrs +) experience and demonstrable experience in privacy, including time spent in leadership
- Has experience in advising and communicating with C-suite and board level executives
- Understands privacy audit controls and compliance requirements
- Has previously acted in a senior leadership role, with proven ability to lead a team and execute on program roadmaps
- Is able to interpret laws, regulations, policies, standards, and orders to understand and explain any obligations that are relevant to us
- Understands customer and service provider contract reviews
- Has deep working knowledge of key global privacy laws and regulations, such as the GDPR, CCPA and PIPEDA
- Has worked closely with product development teams on embedding privacy into product
- Genuinely enjoy talking to stakeholders across all business teams are IAPP Certified (preferably CIPP/EU and CIPP/M)
- Understands the global and cultural differences in approaches to privacy
- Is excited to learn about Alida’s suite of products and services and be able to have valuable conversations about our privacy capabilities with our customers
- Doesn't view privacy as a back-office compliance exercise, but a critical and valuable business driver that can really drive revenue and help forge customer relationships
- Has acted as a Data Protection Officer
- Can demonstrate the usual asks: verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills; time management, organizational, and problem-solving skills; proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook
- Legal / paralegal qualification or experience
- Previous work within a sales-driven environment
- Understanding of HIPAA
- Knowledge of security controls (for example: NIST; ISO)
- Exposure to tech / SaaS industry
- Working with audit frameworks, such as SOC or ISO, and responding to external audit
- Experience with responding to RFPs Marketing and ad tech experience
- French/German language skills
- An appreciation of karaoke (it’s about volume and performance, not vocal talent)
- Providing privacy leadership and support to Alida’s global business
- Leading Alida’s Sales and Customer Success privacy support function to ensure that customer queries are responded to and and agreements are reviewed swiftly
- Managing our external privacy consultants and legal counsel
- Overseeing Alida’s global privacy regulator registrations
- Ensuring that Alida’s C-suite is kept abreast of significant and relevant privacy matters
- Working with our Product & Engineering and Professional Services teams to make sure our suite of products support customer privacy requirements
- Prioritizing ad-hoc privacy matters swiftly and ensuring any action items are executed across the business
- Review of Alida’s service providers and sub processors to ensure appropriate due diligence and contractual safeguards are implemented
- Acting as Data Protection Officer is certain global regions
- Working with business stakeholders to continue to develop and improve our privacy program Performing regular reviews of Alida’s privacy policies and processes
- Liaising with Alida’s Compliance team on privacy audit controls and any relevant action items
- Overseeing completion of PIAs and DPIAs
- Supporting the People & Culture team in relation to all privacy matters
- Overseeing Privacy training and development
The Good Stuff:
+ Amazing growth and learning opportunities with a fast-growing Canadian SaaS company that is a world leader in its industry
+ Best-in-class company paid benefits for you and your family - offering medical, dental, vision, RRSP matching in Canada, a 401K in the US, and more.
+ Unlimited Vacation: Yep, it’s true. Take vacation when you want it, how you want it. Designed to better fit your evolving needs.
+ Summer Fridays: Fridays are a day off during July and August. To help provide better balance in the summer months focusing on employee wellness.
+ Recognized as a Great Place to Work® 2021-2022
+ Recognized in 2022 as one of the Best places to Work®
+ Recognized as a Top Employer by British Columbia's Top Employers 2022
We can’t wait to meet you!
We understand that applying for a new position takes effort and want to thank you in advance for taking the time to introduce yourself.
At Alida, we’re dedicated to fostering an environment where our employees feel heard, valued and included.
We believe that a diverse team is a core pillar in building better products and services for our global customers and we strongly encourage applications from all people regardless of race, religion, gender, age, disability status or sexual orientation. Even if you don't meet every single one of the stated requirements but you are excited about this opportunity, we'd love to hear from you anyway. Our Talent Acquisition team will review your application for this role, and others we may have open now or in the future.
Follow us at www.alida.com and engage with us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
Alida has an accommodation process in place to provide reasonable accommodation to employees, and to qualified job applicants with a disability during the hiring process. If you require accommodation because of a disability or medical need, please contact email@example.com so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodations to be in place.
Alida takes your private information seriously. Review our Candidate Privacy Statement here to understand how we use and protect your personal information.