Director, Engineering, Core Product
Join Affinity as we redefine the way professionals manage and leverage their networks, transforming relationships into meaningful opportunities. You'll join a team that's focused on improving our core product and platform, making relationship intelligence indispensable through the use of advanced data analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. With our growing user base and expansion into new markets, we're more engaged than ever in our mission to deliver relationship intelligence to professionals everywhere.
Your role and impact:
As Director of Engineering at Affinity, you will report to the CTO and lead the charge in scaling our engineering team, which is at the core of our innovative CRM product and relationship intelligence platform. Your strategic vision will guide iterative project delivery, harmonizing product leadership collaboration with technological excellence. You'll be instrumental in directing our technical and architectural roadmap, ensuring peak performance and user experience through our suite of applications.
- Partner with product and design leaders to shape and implement a clear vision for our product's future.
- Lead engineering execution and delivery, ensuring the creation of quality software and a delightful user experience for our global users through continuous, iterative development practices.
- Grow, evolve, and scale your organization by shaping the team's composition, specifying hiring needs, and sourcing and onboarding engineers whose diverse technical abilities and soft skills contribute to well-rounded, cohesive teams.
- Guide and develop a high-performing team through leadership, coaching, and mentoring, fostering a culture of excellence and continuous improvement while ensuring inclusive development opportunities for all team members.
- Design key processes for your organization and the broader engineering team, strategically engaging in project details to boost overall team performance.
- Craft a technical strategy and roadmap that is deeply aligned with Affinity’s business and product needs, from building an industry-leading relationship graph to delivering blazing-fast performance across our suite of applications and APIs.
- Manage technical debt thoughtfully, preserving our codebase's integrity amid rapid growth.
- Navigate complex discussions and drive decisions that are aligned with business context as well as product, architecture, design philosophies, and strategies.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification. At Affinity, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t perfectly align with the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- 13+ years of experience building scalable web applications with large volumes of data and rich visualizations.
- 8+ years in an engineering leadership role, overseeing teams of 10 or more, with experience in managing multiple teams through managers and team leads.
- Experience developing, coaching and managing engineers and Engineering Managers.
- Care personally about the people you work with, and about helping them to grow and develop in their careers, while being willing to challenge them.
- Experience recruiting and closing engineering candidates.
- Passion for designing, evolving, and optimizing the development process, ideally leveraging practices such as Kanban to help developers maintain a seamless workflow.
- Balance thoughtfully between short-term business priorities and long-term investment and strategy.
- Take pride in delivering an exceptionally high-quality product, ensuring outstanding functionality, while maintaining the platform’s overall performance and reliability.
- You're excited to work collaboratively within engineering and across functional teams.
- Articulate, confident, and persuasive communication skills, coupled with the ability to listen and prioritize diverse perspectives.
Nice to have:
- Have taken over an existing organization, leading through engineering managers or team leads, in the past
- Experience working with Ruby, React, or PostgreSQL.
- Experience working with CRM-type applications that deal with problems like entity resolution and designing data models to store lots of attributes across many entities.
- Experience building data-intensive applications.
Our platform is built with React and TypeScript on the front end, and with Ruby and PostgreSQL on the back end. Our infrastructure is hosted by AWS and runs on Kubernetes.
What you’ll enjoy at Affinity:
- We live our values as playmakers, obsessed with learning, care personally about our colleagues and clients, are radically open-minded, and take pride in everything we do.
- Health Care coverage and flexible personal & sick days. We want our team to be happy and healthy :)
- We provide an annual budget for you to spend on education and offer a comprehensive L&D program – after all, one of our core values is that we’re #obsessedwithlearning!
- We support our employee’s overall health and well-being and reimburse monthly for things such as; Transportation, Home Internet, Meals, and Wellness memberships/equipment.
- Virtual team building and socials. Keeping people connected is essential.
Please note that the role compensation details below reflect the base salary only and do not include any equity, or benefits. This represents the salary range that Affinity believes, in good faith, at the time of this posting, that it will pay for the posted job.
A reasonable estimate of the current range is $170,600 to $288,000 USD. Within the range, individual pay depends on various factors including geographical location and review of experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant.
We have raised over $120M and are backed by some of Silicon Valley’s best firms, with over 2,700 customers worldwide on our platform. We are proud to have a 4.0 Star Glassdoor rating and recently ranked; Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2022 and Great Places to Work 2022. Passionate about helping dealmakers in the world’s biggest relationship-driven industries to find, manage, and close the most important deals; our Relationship Intelligence platform uses the data exhaust of trillions of interactions between Investment Bankers, Venture Capitalists, Consultants, and other strategic dealmakers with their networks to deliver automated relationship insights that drive over 450,000 deals every month.
We use E-Verify
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.